Guadeloupe at a glance
Guadeloupe is large and highly developed, offering visitors metropolitan French infrastructure overlaid on a lively French creole culture. There’s a good variety of beaches, many with white coral sand, particularly on Grande-Terre, some have activities including watersports, others secluded, several with beach bars and restaurants. Basse-Terre has darker sand in mountainous coves. Guadeloupe has many large, mainly mid-range hotels, a small clutch of more stylish inns, particularly in Basse-Terre, some funky. Many activities including museums and old plantations, excellent rainforest and hiking, sugar/rum factories, good sailing (particularly with offshore islands), casinos, cruises.
Read our guide about Guadeloupe - with independent reviews, listings, and information from top travel journalists and Caribbean specialists.
- Best for:
- A Caribbean island with a difference, France in the tropics.
- What for:
- Beach, Eco/Nature, Hiking & Walking
- Not for:
- Corporate & Incentives
- How to get there:
- Easily accessible from France, OK from USA (Miami or San Juan), no direct flights from the UK (usually via Antigua or Paris).
- Top tip:
- Travel to the small cluster of islands off Guadeloupe called Les Saintes, and experience life at an altogether slower pace. Marie Galant, a bit like a mainland. Les Saintes has no traffic, walk or get a scooter.
Or read our other island guides
Anguilla | Antigua | Aruba | Bahamas | Barbados | Bermuda | Bonaire | British Virgin Islands | Cayman Islands | Cuba | Curacao | Dominica | Dominican Republic | Grenada and Carriacou | Guadeloupe | Haiti | Jamaica | Martinique | Montserrat | Nevis | Puerto Rico | Saba | St Barthélemy | St Eustatius | St Kitts | St Lucia | St Martin/St Maarten | St Vincent and the Grenadines | Tobago | Trinidad | Turks & Caicos Islands | US Virgin Islands
Looking for inspiration?
- Soak up the beach scene on Grande-Terre
- Explore old plantations and historic museums
- Cool off in a hidden waterfall after a strenuous rainforest hike
- Day sail to the surrounding islands - Les Saintes
- Go on a rum tasting tour of the island's distilleries
Events list coming soon. We apologize for any inconvenience