Haiti at a glance
Haiti is a large independent country which shares an island (Hispaniola) with the Dominican Republic in the western Caribbean. It has a very strong cultural integrity and historical interest such as voodoo, art and music. Travel is difficult, but rewarding. There are some nice beaches, with just a few hotels and some good restaurants. This is in contrast to the cruise stop-off at the private resort of Labadee, where tourists sip cocktails in hammocks, whizz on a zip line and shop at an artisans’ market.
Read our guide about Haiti - with independent reviews, listings, and information from top travel journalists and Caribbean specialists.
- Best for:
- When appropriate to travel, a stimulating exploration of another culture
- What for:
- Art & Artisans, Culture & Heritage, Music
- Not for:
- Corporate & Incentive, Golf, Weddings & Romance
- How to get there:
- Direct from the US or overland from the Dominican Republic
- Top tip:
- A trip to Haiti shouldn’t be entered into lightly, thoroughly research your plans before travel and consult wisely
Or read our other island guides
Anguilla | Antigua | Aruba | Bahamas | Barbados | Bermuda | Bonaire | British Virgin Islands | Cayman Islands | Cuba | Curacao | Dominica | Dominican Republic | Grenada and Carriacou | Guadeloupe | Haiti | Jamaica | Martinique | Montserrat | Nevis | Puerto Rico | Saba | St Barthélemy | St Eustatius | St Kitts | St Lucia | St Martin/St Maarten | St Vincent and the Grenadines | Tobago | Trinidad | Turks & Caicos Islands | US Virgin Islands
Looking for inspiration?
- Enquire about ways to help with Humanitarian Efforts
- Disembark the cruise ship for a cocktail at Labadee
- Learn about the rich art, culture and music of the Haitians
Events list coming soon. We apologize for any inconvenience