Dominican Republic / What to Pack
Temperatures hardly vary if you stick to the coast, so your wardrobe should consist of light, cotton summer clothes for beach and evening. Bring something smart to wear in more sophisticated restaurants too. If you are heading into the mountains, pack a warm pullover, good walking shoes and a rain jacket. Remember your medication, suntan lotion (decent brands and high factors are expensive and not easily found), insect repellent, waterproof sandals and swimsuit. Hotels all have laundry services, from overnight to 48 hrs.
Browse What to Pack on other islands
Or read our other island guides
Anguilla | Antigua | Aruba | Bahamas | Barbados | Bermuda | Bonaire | British Virgin Islands | Cayman Islands | Cuba | Curacao | Dominica | Dominican Republic | Grenada and Carriacou | Guadeloupe | Haiti | Jamaica | Martinique | Montserrat | Nevis | Puerto Rico | Saba | St Barthélemy | St Eustatius | St Kitts | St Lucia | St Martin/St Maarten | St Vincent and the Grenadines | Tobago | Trinidad | Turks & Caicos Islands | US Virgin Islands
Dominican Republic weather
Looking for inspiration?
- Soak up the sun on 1000 miles of beaches - watch out for the currents though
- Visit Lago Enriquillo, a vast salt lake below sea-level in a cactus-studded desert
- Get married amid the spectacular contrasting landscapes
- Learn to dance the Merengue in historic colonial buildings
- Experience local food and culture with friendly families